We have created this policy to tell you how we use your personal data as a member of Parkwood Lawn Tennis Club.
By becoming a member of PLTC you choose to give us certain personal data such as your name and contact details so that we can use them (or process them in data protection terminology) for purposes connected with your membership. Your choice gives us legitimate interests under GPDR to process your personal data.
How we collect your information
We may collect your personal data in several ways, namely:
- Directly from you, when you fill in an application or renew your membership when you interact with us during your time as a member in various other ways (for example, when you enter a tournament or league, volunteer to help at junior sessions, sign up for coaching);
- From someone else who has applied for membership on your behalf (for example a family member or your tennis coach who has provided us with your contact details for that purpose);
- From the LTA (for example, where the LTA passes on your details to us in connection with a query or complaint you have raised about our Club).
The types of information we collect
We may collect the following types of personal data about you:
- Contact and communications information, including your contact details (including email address(es), telephone numbers and postal address(es) and records of communications and interactions we have had with you);
- Financial information including payment details;
- Certain other information which you volunteer when making use of your membership benefits (for example, when playing in matches or making use of other Club facilities).
For junior members, we may also collect data about your health or medical conditions if your parent/guardian has volunteered this, for example, so that we can cater for you when you attend a Club event or coaching/camp.
How we use personal data
Personal data provided to us will be used for the purposes set out at the time of collection and, where relevant, in accordance with any preferences you express.
More generally, we will use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Administration of your Club membership, including:
- informing you about court availability
- taking payment of membership fees;
- club lottery and other fundraising events
- Fulfilment of orders for goods and services;
- Administration of the Wimbledon ballot;
- Research and statistical analysis about who is playing tennis in our Club;
- Communication about our Club activities that we think may be of interest to you such as tournaments, leagues, fundraising events, weekly what’s on text, coaching and social activities;
- Providing contact details for arranging catering, tournaments and league matches;
- Promoting our Club and promoting goods and services of third parties (for example, equipment suppliers, operators of coaching courses, and organisers of tennis events) where we think this will be of interest to you and where we have your consent, as applicable.
Additional measures to protect the personal data of junior members
We collect personal data only from the parent/guardian of junior members under 16.
We require the parent/guardian of a junior under 16 to agree to us processing the junior’s personal data when the junior’s membership application or renewal is made.
We do not publish contact information of junior members.
Juniors’ parents/guardians can withdraw their consent to the publication of photographs connected with playing tennis at PLTC.
Your marketing preferences
We will always respect your wishes in respect of what type of communications you want to receive from us and how you want to receive them. There are some communications, however, that we need to send you regardless of your marketing preferences in order for us to fulfil our obligations to you as a member of our Club. Examples of these essential service communications are:
- Records of transactions, such as payment receipts;
- Membership related mailings such as your membership renewal reminder, notices of formal meetings and information about Club events.
You are in control of how we communicate with you. You can update your choices and/or your contact details by contacting the Membership Secretary.
Sharing your information with others
We do not sell or share your personal data for other organisations to use other than as set out below.
Personal data collected and processed by us may be shared with the following third parties, where necessary:
- Our committee and volunteers for the purposes of administering your membership and giving you access to the membership benefits to which you are entitled.
- Our contractors and suppliers, including coaches.
How long your information is kept
We keep your personal data only for as long as necessary for each purpose we use it. For most membership data, this means we retain it for so long as you have a valid Club membership and where required for a period of no longer than five years after your last interaction with us (for accounting, record-keeping purposes).
Under certain circumstances, by law, you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to the processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example, if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it. You can also withdraw your consent, where this is the basis for our processing your data (without affecting the lawfulness of our previous processing based on consent).
- Request the transfer of your personal data to another party.
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
Contact and complaints
If you are not satisfied with how we are processing your personal data, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out more about your rights under applicable data protection legislation from the Information Commissioner’s Office website: www.ico.org.uk.